Our first annual FloCoiMo – Floyd County Imagination Month – will begin on Monday, November 1. We’re raring to go – are you?
Okay, we know it can be daunting – both setting the goal and getting started – so we wanted to post some tips to help you out.
- When deciding on a goal, really focus on what you’re passionate about. After all, this is a tough project, however exciting. It’ll be hard enough to stay motivated on a goal that really gets your creative juices pumping; don’t make it harder by choosing something you’re less than inspired by.
- Set your goal so that it is challenging but still doable. With NaNoWriMo, our source of FloCoiMo inspiration, the goal is 50,000 words or 1,667 words a day. Maybe your goal makes more sense to approach in terms of hours spent or amount of work done weekly. You know your medium and your work pace; honor both while setting your goal.
- Post your goal publicly, whether in the comments section below, on our Facebook page, on your own blog or by running out into the street and yelling it to the sky. Of course, we’d prefer you posted it on one of our sites so we can applaud your ambition and root for you along the way!
- While you shouldn’t start working on your goal until November 1, doing prep work is a great idea! For example, you could gather supplies, create a list of possible topics/subjects or organize your creative space starting any time now.
- Check in along the way - again, whether it’s our site or yours, comments or Facebook, don’t keep your success or frustrations inside. Accountability helps all of us stay motivated, and we want the opportunity to celebrate the good days and encourage you on the bad! Also consider joining us for our mid-month in-person check in at the Jessie Peterman Memorial Library in Floyd on November 16, starting at 6:30 pm.
- We all want to achieve our goal but simply making a true effort is worthy of reward. Encourage yourself by deciding on a reward now – a new book, a sushi dinner, extra time with your best friend – whatever it is, we hope it will include attending our wrap-up celebration on December 1, starting at 5:30 pm at the Jax!
What other tips can you offer your fellow FloCoiMo-ers? Do you have any other questions or concerns? Reach out to your cohorts for ideas, encouragement and kudos – it’s what we’re here for!