The Floyd Plein Air Festival 2017 is a new and exciting event that grew from the success of 2016 Plein Air Crush weekend. We invite artists to come and join fellow national and regional painters for a WEEK of plein air painting in beautiful Floyd County, Virginia! Patrons of the arts will be invited to participate in many free and ticketed portions of the week. More information about how to buy patron tickets will be available in the Spring of 2017. This event is hosted by Floyd Center for the Arts and sponsored by many local businesses. This week is sure to have fun for everyone!
Week highlights include:
- Welcome Reception for artists on Tuesday evening, mix & mingle with guests from around the region at Floyd’s Dogtown Roadhouse.
- Days of painting and demonstrations in and around the Blue Ridge Parkway, Chateau Morrisette Winery, Riverstone Organic Farm and in downtown Floyd.
- Wednesday afternoon wine tastings at Chateau Morrisette.
- Thursday evening a Farm to Table Dinner sponsored by Riverstone Organic Farm, Floyd for participating artists and ticketed patrons. Patrons will have the option of purchasing artist works created at the farm that day.
- Special Sunset and Night Painting at the Floyd Artisan Market on Friday night during the traditional Friday Night Jamboree.
- Quick Paint Competition Saturday morning.
- Gala Awards Reception with a “Wet” Painting Sale on Saturday afternoon and evening.
- Cash award of “Best in Week” and Quick Paint Competition will be Juried by nationally renowned plein air painter Valerie Craig of St. Davids Pennsylvania.
- Participating artists may request free host housing in and around Floyd County in private residences, or opt to secure accommodations at their own expense by making reservations at one of Floyd’s unique inns or hotels.
Registration is $35 (Center Members) or $40 (Non Members)
Applications Due: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Applications may be submitted by mail to 220 Parkway Lane South, Floyd VA, 24091 or emailed to email@example.com
Application Fees may be paid by mailed check, in person at our office, over the phone by credit card, or online by PayPal below. (Please select Member or NonMember from the dropdown menu and click on “Buy Now”.)
Proposed Schedule: Floyd Plein Air Festival 2017 (Subject to Change)
Monday, August 14 Arrival – Possible art class, instruction – open to attending artists and/or general artists
Tuesday, August 15 Blue Ridge Parkway & Beyond – Open paint for artists in the county and Welcome Reception for the artists and hosts only 6 – 8 pm Dogtown Roadhouse
Wednesday, August 16 Blue Ridge Parkway & Beyond – Artists paint the Parkway & surrounding areas
Wednesday, August 16 Chateau Morrisette Winery – Artist Demonstration, 1-3pm and Private Wine Tasting, 3-4pm
Thursday, August 17 Riverstone Organic Farm – Artists paint at the farm, Farm Tours, 3-4pm, Farm to Table Dinner with the artists, 6 – 10pm Artist works created during day will be available for sale.
Friday, August 18 Town of Floyd – Artists paint the town – Art Demonstration & Talk: Quick Paint Judge 1 – 3pm, Special Sunset & Night Paint, 7 – 10pm at the Artisan Market
Saturday, August 19 Chateau Morrisette – Quick Paint Competition & Awards, 9 – 12pm, Open Paint in the afternoon. Gala Awards Reception – Best in Week & Quick Paint Competition Awarded, and “Wet” Painting Sale at Floyd Center for the Arts, 6 – 8:30pm ($10 admission if have not purchased Patron Weekly Pass)